Wednesday 3 April 2024

Chris Brown - Translocation Dislocation (words by Natalie Low)

Welcome to the Translocation and Dislocation exhibition, a selection of eclectic artworks that have been placed or screened beyond the tradition gallery walls. Alongside the art, you can read written works by our First Responders. We will choose a different location for each artwork, the art might be placed in a complementary location (to add to the narrative) or juxtaposed against a competing backdrop to create new meaning.

Chris Brown's wandering cowboy waits at a bus stop in Hampton Hill, he doesn't dream of the American frontier but of travelling to Kirkwall, the home of the finest ginger ale in Scotland. Natalie Low composes a ditty for our rhinestone hero, or should it be for our bovine hero. Read it below, or if you are in good voice, sing it out loud.

Chris Brown





First Responder: Natalie Low

(There are cowboy versions of  ‘My bonny lies over the ocean‘. Here is a boycow version.)

My Boycow lies under the peat gley,
My Boycow lies far from the sea,
My Boycow lies under the peat gley,
Oh, rescue my Boycow from me.

[Chorus]

Rescue, rescue,
Oh, rescue my Boycow from me, from me.
Rescue, rescue,
Oh, rescue my Boycow from me.

Oh, dig the ground under the peat gley,
Oh, dig the ground far from the sea,
Oh, dig the ground under the peat gley,
And rescue my Boycow from me.

[Repeat Chorus]

Today as I walk by the kirk wall,
To hide in the standing stones near,
Today as I walk by the kirk wall,
I wish that my Boycow was here.

[Repeat chorus]

They're digging the ground in the peat gley,
They're digging away from the sea,
They're digging the ground in the peat gley,
To rescue my Boycow from me.

[Repeat Chorus]

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Brown is an artist, author, editor and art therapist living amongst skyscrapers and regularly exploring the wilder landscapes of the United Kingdom.

Natalie Low is a creative knitter, stitcher and quilter. She lives in London, UK with her charming family. She has published two chapbooks Dementia (2015) and School Run (2017).


No comments:

Post a Comment