Saturday 6 April 2024

Nick Roberts - Translocation Dislocation (words by Ed Arantus)

Welcome to the Translocation and Dislocation exhibition, a selection of eclectic artworks that have been placed or screened beyond the traditional gallery walls. Alongside the art, you can read written works by our First Responders. We will choose a different location for each artwork, the art might be placed in a complementary location (to add to the narrative) or juxtaposed against a competing backdrop to create new meaning.

This is the final day of the exhibition, thank you to everyone who has followed its progress over the past fortnight. Today we're doing exactly what we said we wouldn't do, placing the work in a gallery environment. This isn't the traditional hanging on a wall though, Nick Roberts' artwork has been printed on a t-shirt and taken for a walk around London, visiting the sights, and ultimately rubbing shoulders with Yoko Ono's creations at the Tate Modern. Our First Responder is Ed Arantus, who explains why you should never stand still in an art gallery. Read his words below.

Nick Roberts







First Responder: Ed Arantus

The gallery was bright white, even the exhibits were white. I wore a white t-shirt. 
I leaned back against the white wall, looked at my shoes, noticed the flecks of paint. 
They were white too.
His finger tapped my chest, “what’s that you’ve got there?”
I knew the game, I’d look down and he’d flick my nose. 
Playground stuff. I stood completely still and stared straight ahead.
“It looks like someone’s tarmacked over Miss Marple’s cottage”.
His finger rested on the t-shirt design. I was ready for the flick.
He turned to his friend, “absolute genius that Yoko Ono”.
They walked away, in that slow way.
I moved a little, stretched my legs, looked up, the gallery attendant smiled at me.
I walked toward the exit.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This is a first appearance for Nick Roberts in a CollectConnect exhibition.

Ed Arantus is a conceptual artist and writer. He published his first work in the Censored Zine in 2010 and has exhibited his work ever since at venues like the Contemporary Arts Research Unit in Oxford and the Museum of Futures in Surbiton.
https://edarantus.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment